About Me

My photo
Currently work in advertising. Wannabe potter & Baileys brewer. Trying hard to figure out my new SLR, old guitar and how Raja lost his 4th leg.

Monday, November 7, 2011

My first boss

Advertising is a fairly difficult place to be at junior levels. Actually I guess any job that involves interacting with people is bound to have its share of rough edges. Everyone who can, including the dispatch people, gives you attitude that can really rile you up a great deal. But yeah, you soon learn how to handle it all. And even maybe dole out advice to the new recruits!

I joined as a trainee after 3 months of training and a final presentation to senior agency people huddled in a big (‘big’ here is relative since the other one was really tiny) conference room. This can be quite intimidating especially if the objective (so it seemed) is also the same! Later that day, I was introduced to my boss – Satpal S V. He was wheatish, plumpish and extremely affable. Everyone who knew Sattie (as he was fondly nick named) told me I was lucky to have him as my boss since he was easily the sweetest person around in servicing.

With me he was faaar from sweet, but instead mighty stern. And I would really get envious of my other colleagues’ cool and friendly bosses. But soon his façade gave way to a chilled boss who let me hangout with his friends at the 4 o’clock soirée at the tapree opposite the office building.

One day he casually probed “Do you know any other Picardo? in Jamshed…puuur?(sic)” “Yes” I said “My dad’s bro is there. He has two sons – Pradeep & Sandeep?” And the world couldn’t be smaller when it turned out that Sandeep had been his friend and classmate back in Bihar. Then on, I was not just a subordinate but also the adopted little (figuratively;-)) lost one who was promptly bailed out when the creative threw tantrums or studio refused jobs or client insisted on some insane headline option. And trust me, these are instances when bosses tell you to ‘go figure your life out and not escalate issues’.

In a couple of months Sattie soon went on a four week break to get married. In the interim I was boss-less and clueless! No one to go running to, crib to, seek help from. But I would like to believe I pulled through. Pure evidence the fact that I’ve spent 10 years here now! And reasonably happy ones at that.

Well, Satpal did return from his leave. But not for long. About 6 months on I lost my 28 year old boss to a massive heart attack. God rest his soul. It’s been about 9 years now. Everything seems so long ago yet fresh in my memory. Leave you with something he would constantly say that I have imbibed with good results - “rapport bana logons se, phir kaam apne aap hota rahega”

1 comment:

  1. brought back memories of a great guy and a horrible day... he'd like this post I am sure and give his shy smile

    ReplyDelete